Can Mold Cause Dizziness and Vertigo?
Yes, exposure to mold can cause dizziness and vertigo on its own or at least be a contributing factor to dizziness and vertigo. This is because mold produces various toxins, such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), mold spores, and mycotoxins, which can cause a range of health problems, including dizziness. The risk of experiencing health problems from mold generally goes up or down based on the amount of mold in your property, how sensitive you are to mold, how long you have been exposed to the mold, and the type of mold that you have. Black mold for example is known to cause greater health problems in general than other types of mold mainly due to its high levels of mycotoxins.
If you are experiencing symptoms of dizziness or other health problems like lightheadedness that you suspect may be related to mold exposure, you should see a doctor and call a professional to properly assess your property for mold. Once they do that, they can come up with a plan of action to get rid of it.
What is Vertigo?
Vertigo is a symptom not a disease. It is a type of dizziness that is characterized by a sensation of spinning or movement when standing still. Common symptoms of vertigo include: nausea, vomiting, sweating, and difficulty standing or walking.
Vertigo can be caused by a variety of factors, but it is most commonly associated with inner ear disorders such as Meniere’s disease or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). That being said, there can be many other factors that also cause or exacerbate vertigo. Here are some other common conditions that can trigger vertigo according to The Cleveland Clinic:
– Vestibular neuritis
Are Certain People More Susceptible to Vertigo?
Vertigo can affect pretty much anyone, but certain people may be more susceptible to it than others. Here are some factors that make people more susceptible to getting vertigo:
– A history of migraines
– Ear surgery
– Inner ear issues
– Head injuries
– Being female
– long periods of bed rest
– Old age
– Taking certain medications such as those used to treat high blood pressure
– Exposure to certain chemicals or toxins (like mold)
How to Treat and/or Deal With Dizziness and Vertigo
In order to treat vertigo you must identify the root cause of it and address that. If your vertigo happens to be caused or exacerbated by mold exposure, your symptoms will likely not subside until you get rid of the mold in your property. That being said, there are some ways that you can reduce the severity of your symptoms.
Here are some general tips that may help alleviate the symptoms of vertigo:
Drinking lots of water: Dehydration can cause dizziness, so be sure to drink plenty of water.
Staying still: If you feel dizzy, sit or lie down until the symptoms subside. Sudden head movements can trigger vertigo, so move slowly and carefully in order to avoid triggering symptoms
Medications: Medications such as antihistamines, anti-nausea drugs, or vestibular suppressants may be prescribed by a doctor to relieve symptoms.
Physical therapy: Specific exercises and techniques can help to improve balance and reduce the frequency and severity of vertigo symptoms.
There are various ways in which mold expose can cause or contribute to dizziness, headaches, and vertigo. If you have mold in your property, or at least suspect that you do, don’t let it just sit there. Mold can cause all sorts of health problems in addition to dizziness, so you should call a professional like us as soon as possible to get rid of it.