Can Mold Cause Lightheadedness?

Yes, there is evidence to suggest that mold exposure can cause or at least partially cause lightheadedness or faintness.

Here are some mechanisms by which lightheadedness could by associated with mold exposure:

1. Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds (mVOCs) are a subset of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are emitted specifically by microorganisms like mold. They are known to cause all kinds of health issues such as: headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness. fatigue, nasal irritation, and nausea.

2. Allergens like mold are known to cause middle ear infections by clogging the eustachian tube with mucus. This is known to cause dizziness and make you lightheaded.

3. In severe cases, an allergic reaction to an allergen like mold can lead to anaphylaxis, a life-threatening condition that may include a rapid, severe drop in blood pressure, leading to dizziness or fainting.

4. Lightheadedness is a common symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and there is evidence to suggest that mycotoxins from mold are liked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

5. Allergic reactions to allergens like mold often cause nasal congestion, which can make breathing more difficult. Reduced oxygen intake could lead to feelings of lightheadedness or dizziness.

6. Dehydration is another common cause of lightheadedness. Allergic reactions to allergens like mold often cause excessive sweating, runny nose, and watery eyes, which could potentially lead to mild dehydration.

What is Lightheadedness?

Lightheadedness is a sensation of feeling faint, dizzy, or unsteady. It is a common symptom and can occur for a variety of reasons, some more serious than others. Unlike vertigo, which is a feeling that the environment around you is spinning, lightheadedness generally does not involve the sensation of movement. Instead, it often feels like you might faint.

How to Treat and/or Deal With Lightheadedness

In order to treat lightheadedness you need to figure out the root cause of it. If your lightheadedness happens to be caused or exacerbated by mold exposure, your symptoms will likely not go away until you get deal with the mold in your property.

That being said, here are some ways that you can reduce the severity of your symptoms:

Hydrate: Drinking enough fluids, especially water, can help alleviate symptoms related to dehydration.

Sit or Lie Down: If you’re feeling lightheaded, try sitting or lying down until the feeling passes.

Rise Slowly: If your lightheadedness is due to orthostatic hypotension (changing positions), try to stand up slowly to give your body time to adjust its blood pressure.

Deep Breathing: Practice deep breathing techniques to calm your nervous system. Inhale deeply through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and exhale fully through your nose.

Diet Changes: Keeping your blood sugar levels stable can help if low glucose levels are worsening your symptoms. Opt for foods that are lower in carbohydrates.


Mold exposure can cause a range of health issues including lightheadedness. If you are feeling lightheaded and suspect it is cause by mold, call a doctor as soon as possible and call us for a free estimate!