What Happens if You Touch Mold?
If you are wondering if it is safe to touch mold or mold sores with your bare hands, the short answer is generally no. According to the EPA, “inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals”. The EPA also says that the research regarding the health effects of mold is still on-going so it’s possible that there are more risks that we are not fully aware of yet. And the EPA is not the only organization that thinks touching mold can be dangerous. The CDC says: “Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause a person to become allergic to mold. Molds can trigger asthma symptoms including shortness of breath, wheezing, or cough in people with known allergies.”. So if you plan to deal with mold, you must take the proper safety precautions and follow a professional mold remediation protocol to make sure you do it safely and effectively. Remediating mold the wrong way could lead to the mold growing back and further health and property damage issues. Therefore, it’s usually best to just hire a professional like us to handle it for you. That being said, in most cases touching mold once will not cause most people to have health problems. Keep in mind that certain types of mold are more dangerous than others, and certain people are more sensitive to mold than others, so while it is not recommended to touch mold with your bare hands, it won’t cause health problems in most cases.
What Types of Mold Are The Most Toxic?
As we mentioned before, certain types of mold are more dangerous than others to handle. Black mold which is also called Stachybotrys or Memnoniella for example is one of the most dangerous types of mold. While you shouldn’t touch any type of mold with your bare hands, it can be particularly dangerous to touch black mold.
Who is Most at Risk of Developing Health Problems From Touching Mold?
People with allergies or asthma, infants and small children, older adults, people with weakened immune systems, and people who are genetically prone to develop allergies (atopic people) are especially susceptible to the adverse health effects of mold exposure because their bodies may be weak to begin with. To give you an idea of how many people this is, about 6-10% of the general population are allergic to mold according to the National Academy of Sciences. That being said, you don’t need to be “allergic” to mold to experience health problems from it.
What Happens if Mold Gets on Your Skin?
Mold can cause skin irritation and rashes if it gets on your skin. If mold gets on your skin, make sure to get rid of it by washing it off as soon as possible.
How to Clean Hands After Touching Mold
There is no special hand washing protocol that needs to be implemented if you touch mold. Just make sure to thoroughly wash your hands with soap as soon as possible.
Safety Gear Needed to Touch Mold
If you want to get rid of mold from your property you need to be wearing proper safety gear.
Here are the items that you’ll need:
- Safety Goggles
- Dust masks or respirators
- Full body suits
While you can get away with touching mold with your bare hands, it is still somewhat dangerous to do so. In general, when dealing with mold it’s best to hire a professional like us that knows how to get rid of mold safely and effectively.